Monday, April 25, 2011

White bean soup with sausage and greens

This one pot recipe is for a crockpot or slow cooker, but I made it in about 20 minutes in a large pan on the stove! The recipe to follow is from Real Simple magazine. I did a few substitutions and made a few modifications to the recipe. I used polish sausage instead of andouille sausage, but you can choose whatever you like. I also used canned beans instead of dried beans, which cuts the time by 7 hours and 10 minutes. I also used romaine lettuce instead of collards, which works just as well. Just toss the lettuce into the serving bowl and ladle the cooked mixture over it while it's still hot. This leaves some crunch in the lettuce and doesn't completely wilt it. I also added some garlic, about one clove of chopped garlic, and tossed in the thyme bundle about 5-10 minutes before serving at the end when the soup comes to a boil.


Ingredients

No comments: