Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cedar




A good friend told me about Cedar and I decided to try it out with my friend Kenzie, who's now moving back to Atlanta next week. I had no idea Kenzie was just as much a foodie as myself, and we had a delicious dinner and great conversation about her new adventure at SCAD Atlanta, and stories about her fabulous mother.

I didn't know what to expect from Cedar, but I must say the food was delicious!
Kenzie ordered a starter, Grilled Seafood and Watermelon Salad with salsa verde. I'm not a fan of savory and sweet, especially fruit, but I must say the shrimp was quite tasty with the melon.


Next course, Kenzie ordered the Butter Poached Lobster with corn, potato puree and hen of the woods, and I ordered the Wild King Salmon with shell bean ragout, spring onions and baby carrots. The lobster was very perfectly cooked and the taste was very refined. The salmon with beans was EXCELLENT! Salmon was also perfectly cooked and very tender, and I loved the crunch and texture of the beans. Perfect pairing.




I was a bit disappointed in the desserts, however. There didn't seem to be enough variety, and the presentation was a bit...beginner. The desserts were a bit too simple and "safe", but tasted good (not GREAT). I ordered the Gateau Basque with peach preserves and white peach-rose sorbet, that was a bit heavy on the rosewater. Kenzie had the Chocolate Praline Crunch Bar with roasted banana and double chocolate ice cream. The bananas seemed more like an afterthought, scattered about the plate.




Overall, the food was fantastic and I'll definitely give it another try.

Cedar executive Chef Andy Kitko
Cedar is located at:
822 E St NW
Washington, DC 20004-2150
(202) 637-0012

No comments: